Review of the Determination for the Sixth Assembly: Consultation on draft Determination
Purpose of the consultation
This consultation document sets out the rationale for changes proposed to the pay and resources available for Members in the Sixth Assembly.
Full details of the terms of reference, how to provide written evidence can be found in the consultation document and the Remuneration Board’s own website.
Read the Board’s press release here.
This is the culmination of a year-long, three-stage review of the current Determination, where the Board have sought the views of Members, their staff and the general public on proposals for change.
In preparing this draft Determination, the Board has proposed no increase in Members’ pay for the Sixth Assembly. Moreover, the Board has been focused on removing potential barriers to standing for election to the Assembly as a means of helping to attract a diverse range of candidates to stand for election. The work has been informed by research commissioned by the Board into the barriers and incentives to standing for election to the Assembly.
The proposals by the Board for the Determination include:
- no increase in Members’ pay for the Sixth Assembly, other than annual indexation as per current arrangements;
- An allowance for Members to help meet costs incurred in relation to a disability or disabilities. This is an extension of an existing provision; and
- Additional resources to help with a Member’s workload during a period of parental leave; and
- A contribution towards care costs for children and / or dependants when Members are required to work beyond normal working hours. The reimbursement of such costs would be subject to a set monthly limit, and payable only on the production of receipts from regulated care providers.
Full details of the Board’s proposals are detailed in the consultation document.
Terms of reference
The Remuneration Board, in its strategy report for 2016-2021, outlined its commitment to publishing its Determination for the Sixth Assembly, one year before the Welsh general election in 2021. The Board has agreed the following terms of reference for the review. To consider
- the suitability of the level of support provided within the Determination;
- the flexibility, prescriptiveness and accessibility of the provisions;
- the probity, accountability, reasonableness and transparency of the expenditure made available to Members.
Disclosure of information
Please ensure that you have considered how the Board will use your information before submitting information to the Board. This is noted in the consultation document.
The deadline for submissions is Tuesday 24 March 2020. It may not be possible to take into account responses received after this date.
- Consultation document
- Draft Determination for the Sixth Assembly
- Draft Determination for the Sixth Assembly – changes shown – Annex*
*The changes outlined in this document reflect the differences between the draft Determination for the Sixth Assembly and the Determination for 2019/20.